Among the rolling hills of the Marche region, overlooking the sea and protected by mountains, Petritoli is an authentic village where time slows down and every corner tells a story.

Latest news

0734.658141
Piazza Mazzini, 21 - 63848 Petritoli FM
info@visitpetritoli.it

The origins of the Church of Santa Maria di Liverano date back to theyear 1000, when a fortified female monastery stood on Liverano Hill. Unlike other settlements, the complex was never incorporated into the walls of Petritoli.

The owner and prioress of the monastery was Abbess Ramberga, who in 1050 donated all her property to the Monastery of Montecassino. Evidence of this connection can still be found on a tile on the main door of Montecassino, where Liverano ‘s name is engraved among the possessions of the time.

In 1943, a violent earthquake caused the church to collapse. Fourteen years later, thanks to donations from the people of Petritoli, the building was rebuilt by engineer Nori in Art Nouveau style. The new church, with a single nave, retains a strong link with the past: the round tower was in fact built by reusing bricks and stones from the original church, as a symbol of continuity between history and rebirth.

You don't have permission to register